Uber Accused Of Keeping Its “Surge Pricing” On for Too Long Following London Attack

0
108

Uber has been accused of keeping its “surge pricing” for too long after the London attack in Borough Market on Saturday that killed seven people and injured 48 so far.

The Accusation

App users have complained that Uber has been profiting off of Saturday’s London attack, which killed seven people and injured 48. They took to social media to express their anger at the surged prices after the attack.

One said: “Hey @Uber — you’re really going to surge price x2.1 during a terrorist attack in #London??? Lower than low.” Another said: “Big fan of @Uber but bitterly disappointed in profiting from a terrorist attack.”

Uber’s Response

London’s Uber general manager, Tom Elvidge, denied this and emphasized that the company didn’t charge extra for rides near the area of attack as soon as they found out. “As soon as we heard about the incident we immediately suspended dynamic pricing all around the area of the attacks — and shortly afterward across the whole of central London — just as we did following the attacks in Manchester and Westminster,” he said.

Uber generally increases its prices when there is extra demand or unusual traffic in the area. Uber usually suspends this pricing method at times of emergencies and disasters. They reportedly disabled its surge pricing 42 minutes after the first emergency calls were made about the attack. They later further extended this suspension for central London at 11:40pm.

“We are also ensuring all rides from around the affected area were free of charge,” he continued to say. “Our team is also working with the Metropolitan Police to help them get any footage from drivers who were in the area at the time.
“Our hearts go out to everybody affected by yet another horrific attack on our city. We’d like to thank all the drivers who helped tens of thousands of Londoners get home safely last night.”