Teenager stabbed stopping a fight


Police believe a teenager who was stabbed to death at an 18th birthday party was a good Samaritan who was trying to stop a fight.
Nineteen-year-old Ziggy Worrell-Owusu died after he was attacked at the Basement Shisa Lounge in Ilford, north-east London, before Halloween.
He was blue-lighted to hospital but medics could not save him.
Detectives investigating his death say that he may have stepped in to try to prevent a fight.
Two boys, both aged 17, have now been arrested in connection with the incident and have been bailed to appear back before police in December.
Some 100 people are reported to have been at the bar on Goodmayes Road when the incident took place.
Mr Worrell-Owusu had celebrated his own birthday the day before.
Detective Inspector Euan McKeeve said he was a “popular young man” who needlessly lost his life.
He is appealing for anyone at the party to come forward to speak to police as they may have information which is relevant to the inquiry.
The tragic teen was stabbed repeatedly while on a night out with friends at the crowded venue.
He was carried out of the bar by paramedics, but was pronounced dead in hospital around an hour after the stabbing.
Mr Worrell-Owusu, who lived in Hackney, was the tenth teenager to be stabbed to death in London during this year alone.
Det Insp McKeeve said: “Ziggy was a popular young man and I would encourage anyone with information about this tragedy to come forward.
“One line of inquiry is that Ziggy stepped in to prevent a fight escalating between others.”
He said that there were a large number of young people inside the bar, who must have witnessed the stabbing and what led up to it.
While he understood that some of them may be reluctant to come forward to speak to police, he urged them to speak to officers, given the seriousness of the incident.
He also said he believed that people attending the party may have captured phone footage or photos at the venue at the night, which could help with the inquiry.
Det Insp also issued an appeal to parents of teenagers who were at the party to ask them to exert their influence and press them to come forward.
A friend of Mr Worrell-Owusu said: “It was just a night out. He was a humble and calm guy, he never went out looking for trouble.”