Facebook Under Fire For Failing To Remove Footage Of Thai Man Killing Baby Daughter For Almost 24 Hours


A Thai man hanged his daughter and broadcast the video of Facebook live. Facebook is currently facing scathing criticism as the video had stayed online for 24 hours and was shared by thousands of people before it was removed.

However, the mother of the young girl says she is not angry at the social media giant.

A horrific murder-suicide:

The video showed 20-year-old Wuttisan Wongtalay hanging his 11-month-old daughter to death in an abandoned hotel on Monday. He broadcast the murder on Facebook live, then killed himself. His relatives called the police, but they were too late to stop the murder-suicide.

Chiranut Trairat, Wongtalay’s wife, said: “I am not angry at Facebook or blaming them on this. I understand that people shared the video because they were outraged and saddened by what happened.”

In an interview with the Associated Press, Trairat said that in the past, he husband has been abusive. He had also spent two years in prison before the two had met.

The murder was captured in two videos, and Thai citizens were rightfully outraged at their content.

Avada Teeraponkoon, one Facebook user said: “This is the most evil clip I’ve seen in my life. I couldn’t stand it for more than one second.”

While Rujirek Polglang said: “How can he watch his own child stop breathing?”

By the time the videos were taken down on Tuesday afternoon, the first one had 112,000 views, while the second had 258,000 views.

After the murder, Kissana Phatanacharoen, the deputy national police spokesman, said: “In the future we will discuss inappropriate online content, whether on Facebook or YouTube or Instagram, and how we can speed up taking this content down.”

Facebook removed the videos on Tuesday at 5pm local time after they were contacted by the Ministry of Digital Economy at the request of the police.

A ministry spokesperson said that they will review how comparable cases are handled in the future. He added: “We will take this as a lesson and come up with a solution…but this is not something we can do immediately.”

According to police, this is the first murder in Thailand to be broadcast on Facebook. They believe that Wuttisan acted because of jealousy as he was afraid his wife will leave him for another man.

This murder comes less than two weeks from another one from across the globe, where a man in Ohio in the US posted a video of himself shooting and killing a man on Facebook.

While in Thailand, the live broadcast feature was attacked after a university lecturer who was suspected of killing two colleagues, shot himself on camera, following a six-hour standoff with police.

A quicker response is needed:

A lot of people criticized Facebook’s response to blocking violent videos isn’t quick enough as people have been posting videos and images of murder, sexual assault and terror attacks.

Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook founder, weighed in on the matter last week saying that the company has a lot of work ahead of it to address this problem.